Improvement of human rights in patient care in Republic of Macedonia
- human rights, patients, legislation, health care, implementation
How to Cite
The rights of patients are based on the general human rights and are an important segment in the process of "Europeanization" of the Republic of Macedonia. The main goal of this study was to analyze the legislative framework of human rights in the health care in the Republic of Macedonia and its implementation in practice. Material and methods: The study was designed as a descriptive-analytical cross sectional study, in which a public health approach, an information-analytical method and evidence synthesis method were applied for the analysis of the relevant legislation. A survey was conducted on a representative stratified sample of patients in the Polog Region in the period from October to November 2017 in the Clinical Hospital Tetovo and the General Hospital Gostivar. Results: The legal system of the Republic of Macedonia was analyzed and compared with 6 transition countries, which had undergone a series of substantial reforms in recent years. The legislative framework in the Republic of Macedonia is a comprehensive frame for protection of patients’ rights, with which the patient is guaranteed legal rights in the process of treatment, respect and protection of his/her personality and integrity. The implementation of patients' rights in practice in this paper was analyzed by implementation of two rights of patients: the right on information about the recommended medical interventions and the right to accept and reject certain medical intervention. 85.2% of the interviewed patients had information on the right to information about the recommended medical interventions, and 14.8% didn’t have. 72.1% of the interviewed patients had personal experience for this right, and 27.9% didn’t have. Regarding the right to accept and reject certain medical intervention, 77% of the interviewed patients had information on this right, while 23% didn’t have. Personal experience was significantly smaller with this right, i.e. only 32.8% of the interviewed patients had personal experience, and 67.2% didn’t have. These differences were significant for both rights, for information and for personal experience. Conclusions: The human rights in the health care in the Republic of Macedonia are reflected in the national legislation, which is harmonized with the European and international legislation. However, it is necessary to improve the implementation of patients' rights in practice by raising the citizens' awareness about the knowledge of patients' rights and encouraging medical staff to respect the rights of patients and their compulsory application in practice.
- Устав на Светска здравствена организација. Достапно на: http://www.who.int/governance/eb/who_constitution_en.pdf, Посетено на 04.05.2018
- Караџинска Бислимовска Ј. и сор. Човековите права во здравствената заштита: прирачник за практичари: Скопје: Медицински факултет; ЦРИС Студиорум, 2010
- Закон за здравствена заштита Службен весник на Република Македонија бр. 43/2012, 145/2012, 87/2013, 164/2013, 39/2014, 43/2014, 132/2014, 188/2014, 10/2015, 61/2015, 154/2015, 192/2015, 17/2016, 37/2016
- European Charter of Patient Rights. Достапно на: http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_overview/co_operation/mobility/docs/health_services_co108_en.pdf Посетено на 18.06.2018
- Universal Decalaration for Human Rights. Достапно на: http://www.ohchr.org/EN/UDHR/Documents/UDHR_Translations/eng.pdf посетено на 15.05.2018
- Устав на Република Македонија. Собрание на Република Македонија. Скопје, 1991
- Закон за заштита на правата на пациентите. Службен весник на Република Македпнија бр.82/2008, 12/2009, 53/2011
- Закон за здравствено осигурување. Службен весник на Република Македонија бр. 25/2000, 96/2000, 50/2001, 11/2002, 31/2003, 84/2005, 37/2006, 18/2007, 36/2007, 82/2008, 98/2008, 6/2009, 67/2009, 50/2010, 156/2010, 53/2011, 26/2012, 16/2013
- Закон за јавно здравје. Службен весник на Република Македонија бр. 22/2010, 136/2011
- Закон за ментално здравје. Службен весник на Република Македпнија бр. 71/2006
- Advancing Human Rights in Patient Care: The Law in Seven Transitional Countries. Достапно на: https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/sites/default/files/Advancing-Human-Rights-in-Patient-Care-20130516.pdf Посетено на 30.06.2018
- Patient’s Rights Act, 1996. Достапно на:http://www.iracm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/loi-sur-les-brevets-1996-anglais-3539.pdf Посетено на 31.05. 2018
- Health and Human Rights Resource Guide. Open Society Institute, 2013 Достапно на: https://cdn2.sph.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2014/06/HHRRG_Introduction.pdf Посетено на: 31.03.2018
- Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union. Достапно на: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/charter/pdf/text_en.pdf Посетено на 01.06.2018г.
- European Social Charter (ESC). Достапно на: https://www.coe.int/en/web/turin-european-social-charter Посетено на 01.06.2018
- Health Rights: Human Rights in Patient Care Home Page. Достапно на: www.health-rights.org Пристапено на 31 март 2018
- Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC).United Nations (UN) General Assembly Reso-lution 44/25. November 20, 1989
- Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW). UN General Assembley, New York, 18 December 1979
- Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD). UN General Assembly Reso-lution. December 13, 2006
- International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR). United Nations General Assembly Resolution 2200A[XXI]. December 16, 1966
- Pecelj G., Tozija F., Hajiof S. Health Care System in Transition profile (HIT) on The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. Observatory. 2000
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia Health system review. Observatory. Health Systems in Transition Vol. 8 No. 2 2006
- Lazarevik V. Policy Interventions to Tackle Health Inequalities in Macedonia: Patient rights and reference pricing of pharmaceuticals. Macedonian J of Med Sci. 2010; 3(1):57-60.
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia Health system review. Health Systems in Tran-sition. Observatory 2017;19 (3)
- European Commission. Enlargement: Candidate countries. FYR Macedonia–Country profile. Достапно на: https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-enlargement/countries/detailed-country-information/fyrom_en Посетено на 31.05. 2018
- Conclusions on the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. In Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament and the Council “Enlargement Strategy and Main Challenges 2011-2012. COM 2011:666 final.
- Human Rights in Patient Care: Practitioner Guides. Достапно на: http://cop.health-rights.org/PractitionerGuides Посетено на 01.08.2018
- European Convention on Human Rights. Council of Europe. Достапно на http://www.echr.coe.int/Documents/Convention_ENG.pdf Пристапено на 11.08. 2018.
- Таири М., Тозија Ф., Адеми В. Легислативната рамка за правата на пациентите во Република Македонија.. MEDICUS. ISSN 1409-6366 UDC 61 Vol 22 (2) 2017: 230-237
- Извештај за спроведување на законот за заштита на правата на пациентите со фокус на механизмите за заштита на правата на пациентите. ЕСЕ. Скопје,2013
- International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. United Nations General Assembly Res-olution 2200A [XX1]. 16 December 1966
- Charter on the Right to Health. International Union of Lawyers. UIA General Assembly. 31 August 2005
- Declaration on the Rights of the Patient. World Medical Association. WMA Assembly Sep-tember/October 1981