Autoimmune thyroiditis after long term gonadotropin- releasing hormone agonist treatment for central precocious puberty: case report
- precocious puberty,
- GnRHa treatment,
- autoimmune thyroiditis
How to Cite
There is a small number of studies that have reported abnormalities in endocrine function after a long-term gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist (GnRHa) treatment in girls. This treatment is considered as safe and effective by most authors. We report our second case of unusual outcome of long-term GnRHa therapy in a girl with central precocious puberty (CPP) of idiopathic or familial etiology. She has received monthly depot of injections of triptorelin for a time period of 4 years. We have examined thyroid function by measuring serum levels of thyrotropin (TSH), thyroxine (T4), thyroid antibodies and ultrasound of thyroid gland. At the age of 11 years she developed a mild goiter and presented with autoimmune thyroiditis, having elevated thyroid antibodies and ultrasound of thyroid gland typical for Hashimoto thyroiditis. Having in mind these two cases, we suggest a closer monitoring of thyroid function in girls with CPP, before and during therapy with GnRH agonist.
- Partsch CJ, Heger S, Sippell WG. Management and outcome of central precocious puberty. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2002;56:129-148.
- Krstevska-Konstantinova M, Jancevska A, Gucev Z. Autoimmune thyroiditis and diabetes mellitus type 1 after long-term gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist treatment for central precocious puberty: evolution or coincidence? J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 2010;23:403-406.
- Miao J, Yan Q, Wang L, Wang X. Three cases of transient hyperthyroidism after triptorelin treatment - case report and literature review. Gynecol Endocrinol 2018;34:734-735.
- Eyal O, Rose SR. Autoimmune thyroiditis during leuprolide acetate treatment. J Pediatr 2004;144:394-396.
- Amino N, Hidaka Y, Takano T, Tatsumi KI, Izumi Y, Nakata Y. Possible induction of Graves' disease and painless thyroiditis by gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues. Thyroid 2003;13:815-818.
- Massart F, Harrell JC, Federico G, Saggese G. Thyroid outcome during long-term gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist treatments for idiopathic precocious puberty. J Adolesc Health 2007;40:252-257.
- Pasquino AM, Pucarelli I, Accardo F, Demiraj V, Segni M, Di Nardo R. Long-term observation of 87 girls with idiopathic central precocious puberty treated with gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogs: impact on adult height, body mass index, bone mineral content, and reproductive function. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008;93:190-195.
- Lam C, Tjon J, Hamilton J, Ahmet AH. Recurrent anaphylaxis associated with gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogs: case report and review of the literature. Pharmacotherapy 2006;26:1811-1815.
- Letterie GS, Stevenson D, Shah A. Recurrent anaphylaxis to a depot form of GnRH analogue. Obstet Gynecol 1991;78:943-946.
- Miller BS, Shukla AR. Sterile abscess formation in response to two separate branded long-acting gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists. Clin Ther 2010;32:1749-1751.
- Kappy M, Stuart T, Perelman A, Clemons R. Suppression of gonadotropin secretion by a long-acting gonadotropin-releasing hormone analog (leuprolide acetate, Lupron Depot) in children with precocious puberty. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1989;69:1087-1089.
- Partsch CJ, Peter M, Sippell WG, et al. Treatment of progressive central precocious puberty with leuprorelin depot1998.
- Roger M, Chaussain JL, Berlier P, et al. Long term treatment of male and female precocious puberty by periodic administration of a long-acting preparation of D-Trp6-luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone microcapsules. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1986;62:670-677.
- Yeshaya A, Kauschansky A, Orvieto R, Varsano I, Nussinovitch M, Ben-Rafael Z. Prolonged vaginal bleeding during central precocious puberty therapy with a long-acting gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1998;77:327-329.
- Oostdijk W, Rikken B, Schreuder S, et al. Final height in central precocious puberty after long term treatment with a slow release GnRH agonist. Arch Dis Child 1996;75:292-297.
- Warnock JK, Bundren JC, Morris DW. Depressive symptoms associated with gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists. Depress Anxiety 1998;7:171-177.
- Basarici I, Belgi A, Yalcinkaya S. Tricuspid valve thrombus: a case report associated with gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogue therapy and review of the literature. Can J Cardiol 2008;24:401-403.
- Morsi A, Jamal S, Silverberg JD. Pituitary apoplexy after leuprolide administration for carcinoma of the prostate. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1996;44:121-124.