- Rhizobium radiobacter,
- central venous catheter,
How to Cite
Rhizobium radiobacter is a Gram-negative rod-shaped bacterium usually associated with diseases in plants. Infections due to R. radiobacter in humans are strongly related to the presence of foreign plastic materials, immunocompromised and chronically debilitated hosts with underlying conditions such as malignancies, human immunodeficiency virus as well as bone marrow transplant recipients. The aim of this paper was to present a rare blood infection with Rhizobium radiobacter in North Macedonia in a pediatric patient with underlying conditions. The treatment was successful with appropriate cephalosporin and aminoglycoside therapy without removing the central venous catheter
2. Mitrev S, Arsov E, Kovacevik B. Review of the most important bacterial disease in Republic of Macedonia. Yearbook, Institute of Southern Crops Strumica. 2005; 139-146.
3. Young JM, Kuykendall LD, Martinez-Romero E, Kerr A, Sewada H. A revision of Rhizobium Frank 1889, with an emended description of the genus, and the inclusion of all species of Agrobacterium Conn 1942 and Allorhizobium undicola de Lajudie at al. 1998 as new combinations: Rhizobium radiobacter, R. rhizogenes, R. rubi, R. undicola and R. vitis. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2001;51:89-103.
4. Lai CC, Teng LJ, Hsueh PR, et al. Clinical and microbial characteristics of Rhizobium radiobacter infections. Clin infect Dis 2004;38:149-43.
5. Mastroianni A, Coronado O, Nanetti A, Manfredi R, Chiodo F. Agrobacterium radiobacter pneumonia in a patient with HIV infection. Eur J Clin Microbial Infect Dis 1996; 15:960-963.
6. Alnor D, Frimodt-Moller N, Espersen F, Frederiksen W. Infections with unusual human pathogens Agrobacterium species and Ochrobacterium anthropi. Clin Infect Dis 1994;18:914-920.
7. Mantadakis E, Kondi A, Christidou A, Kalmanti M. Agrobacterium radiobacter bacteremia in a child with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. World J Pediatr 2010;6:181-84.
8. Hammerberg O, Bialkowska-Hobrzanska H, Gopaul D. Isolation of Agrobacterium radiobacter from a central venous catheter. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 1991;10:450-452.
9. Paphitou NI, Rolston KV. Catheter-related bacteremia caused by Agrobacterium radiobacter in a cancer patient: case report and literature review. Infection 2003;31:421-24.
10. Christakis GB, Alexaki P, Alivizatos AS, et al. Primery bacteremia caused by Rhizobium radiobacter in a patient with solid tumors. J Med Microbiol 2006;55(10):1453-56.
11. Giammanco GM, Pignato S, Santangelo C, Grimont F, Giammanco G. Molecular typing of Agrobacterium species isolated from catheter-related bloodstream infections. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2004; 25:885-887.
12. Sood S, Nerukar V, Malvankar S. Catheter associated bloodstream infection caused by Rhizobium radiobacter. Indian J Med Microbiol 2010;28(I):62-64.
13. Rolides E, Mueller Bu, Letterio JJ, Butler K, Pizzo PA. Agrobacterium radiobacter bacteremia in a child with human immunodeficiency virus infection. Pediatr Infect Dis 1991;10:337-38.
14. Kaselitz TB, Hariadi NI, Lipuma JJ, Weinberg JB. Rhizobium radiobacter bacteremia in a neonate. Infection 2012;40:437-39.
15. Amaya RA, Edmonds MS. Agrobacterium radiobacter bacteremia in pediatric patients. Case report and review. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2003;22:183-86
16. Dunne WM, Jr, Tillman J, Murray JC. Recovery of a strain of Agrobacterium radiobacter with a mucoid phenotype from an immunocompromised child with bacteremia. J Cin Microbiol. 1993;31:2541-43.
17. Plotkin GR. Agrobacterium radiobacter prosthetic valve endodocarditis. Ann Intern Med 1980;93:839-40.
18. Ponnapula S, Swamson JM, Wood CG, Boucher BA, Wells DL, Croce MA, Fabian TC. Treatment of Rhizobium radiobacter bacteremia in a critically ill trauma patient. Ann Pharmacother 2013;47(11):1584-7.
19. Zhang HP, Fan JM, Huang DH, Zeng YM. Clinical and microbiological characteristics of Rhizobium radiobacter infections: six cases report and literature review. Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi 2010;33(2):93-8.