- developmental language disorder,
- phonological awareness,
- typical language development,
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Mile Vukovic, Mira Jovanovska, Lana Jerkic Rajic
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Children with developmetal language disorder have impaired developmental pattern of language structure. Literature data speak in favor of delay and/or difficulties in development of phonological, lexical, morphological and syntactic structure, but the nature of developmental language disorder (DLD) has still not been elucidated. The aim of this paper was to present and analyze data about phonological awareness in children with DLD based on a systematic literature review. Also, we wanted to point out some methods of assessment and stimuli/encouragement in development of phonological abilities. The research presented in the analyzed literature have shown that current knowledge regarding phonological awareness in children with DLD is mainly obtained from comparative stuides of children with developmental language disorder and children with normal language development. A large number of results has revealed that different components of phonological awareness in children with DLD are less developed compared to their peers with typical development. Studies have also presented current assessment techniques and importance of phonological awareness preventive stimulation progams, which are an important indicator/parameter for the development of reading and writing as well as for onset of impairments in learning these skills.
- Torgesen J K, Wagner RK, Rashotte CA. Longitudinal studies of phonological processing and reading. Journal of Learning Disabilities 1994;27(5).
- Sutherland D, Gillon GT. Assessment of phonological representations in children. Language Speech and Hearing Services in Schools 2005; 36: 294–308.
- Čolić G. Phonological awareness of children with developmental dysphasia and children with typical language development. Specijalna Edukacija i Rehabilitacija 2015;14(2): 155–168.
- Subotić S. Konstrukcija testa fonološke svijesti na srpskom jeziku. Primenjena Psihologija, 2011;4(2): 127–149.
- Ivšac Pavliš J, Lenček M. Fonološke vještine i fonološko pamćenje: Neke razlike izmedu djece urednoga jezičnoga razvoja, djece s perinatalnim oštećenjem mozga i djece s posebnim jezičnim teškoćama kao temeljni prediktor čitanja. Hrvatska Revija Za Rehabilitacijska Istrazivanja, 2011; 47(1):1–16.
- Milošević N. Fonološka sposobnost i fonološki poremećaji. Visoka škola socijalnog rada. 2019
- Ramus F, Marshall CR, Rosen S, Van Der Lely H K J. Phonological deficits in specific language impairment and developmental dyslexia: Towards a multidimensional model. Brain 2013;136 (2): 630–645.
- Vuković M. Afaziologija (Četvrto izdanje). Udruženje logopeda Srbije 2016.
- Leonard L B. Children with Specific Language Impairment. MIT Press.1998
- Vuković M. Afaziologija (Peto izdanje). Planeta print 2019.
- Bishop DVM. What causes specific language impairment in children? Current Directions in Psychological Science 2006; 15(5): 217–221.
- Vandewalle E, Boets B, Ghesquière P, Zink I. Development of phonological processing skills in children with specific language impairment with and without literacy delay: A 3-year longitudinal study. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research 2012; 55(4): 1053–1067.
- Milošević N, Vuković M. Awareness of rhyme in preschool children with specific language impairment and without language difficultiess. Croatian Journal of Education 2018; 20(2): 237–257.
- Ščapec K, Kuvač Kraljević J. Rana pismenost kod djece s posebnim jezičnim teškoćama (PJT). Hrvatska Revija za rehabilitacijska istraživanja 2013; 49: 120–134.
- Claessen M, Leitão S, Kane R,Williams C. Phonological processing skills in specific language impairment. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology 2013; 15(5), 471–483.
- Farquharson K, Centanni TM, Franzluebbers C E, Hogan TP. Phonological and lexical influences on phonological awareness in children with specific language impairment and dyslexia. Frontiers in Psychology 2014; 5: 1–10.
- Čolić G, Golubović S. Procena nekih elemenata fonološke svesnosti kod dece sa razvojnom disfazijom. U S. Kaljača i M. Nikolić (Ur.), Unapređenje kvalitete života djece i mladih. Udruženje za podršku i kreativni razvoj djece i mladih i Univerzitet u Tuzli, Edukacijsko- rehabilitacijski fakultet. 2014.
- Zourou F, Ecalle J, Magnan A, Sanchez M. The fragile nature of phonological awareness in children with specific language impairment: Evidence from literacy development. Child Language Teaching and Therapy 2010;26(3): 347–358.
- Čolić G, Vuković M. Doprinos fonološke i sintaksičke svesnosti u početnom čitanju. Psihološka Istraživanja 2018; 21(1): 75–90.
- Milankov V, Golubović S, Krstić T, Golubović Š. Phonological awareness as the foundation of reading acquisition in students reading in transparent orthography. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2021; 18(10). https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18105440
- McNamara JK, Van Lankveld J, Vervaeke SL, Gutnecht N. An exploratory study of the associations between speech and language difﬁculties and phonological awareness in preschool children. Journal of Applied Research on Learning 2010; 3(7): 1–9.
- Dich N, Cohn A C. A review of spelling acquisition: Spelling development as a source of evidence for the psychological reality of the phoneme. Lingua 2013; 133: 213–229.
- Ramus F, Ahissar M. Developmental dyslexia: The difficulties of interpreting poor performance, and the importance of normal performance. Cognitive Neuropsychology 2012; 29 (1–2), 104–122.
- Čolić G. Rani pokazatelji disleksije i disgrafije [doktorska disertacija, Univerzitet u Beogradu]. NaRDuS. 2018
- Robertson C, Salter W. Phonological awareness test - 2:NU. Linguisystems. 2018
- Neilson R. Sutherland Phonological Awareness Test: Revised. Language Speech and Literacy Services. 2003
- Wagner R K, Torgesen J K, Rashotte CA, Pearson NA. Comprehensive test of phonological processing: CTOPP. Pro-ed Austin, TX. 1999.
- Crumrine L, Lonegan H. Pre-literacy Skills Screening: PLSS. PRO-ED. 1999.
- Kilpatrick D. Equipped for reading success: A comprehensive, step-by-step program for developing phonemic awareness and fluent word recognition. Casey & Kirsch Publishers 2016.
- Golubović S, Ječmenica N, Subotić S, Kobac D. Development of phonological awareness in six to eight years old children. Primenjena Psihologija 2019;12(2):157–182.
- Wiig E, Secord W. Emerging literacy and language assessment (ELLA). Super Duper Publications 2006.
- Milošević N, Vuković M. Rapid naming in children with specific language impairment and in children with typical language development. Journal of Special Education and Rehabilitation 2017; 18(1–2: 42–54.
- Kuvač Kraljević J, Lenček M. Test za procjenjivanje predvještina čitanja i pisanja (PredČiP test). Naklada Slap 2012.
- Nikolić M, Milenković S. Predlog programa za podsticanje razvoja predveština čitanja u predškolskoj ustanovi. Inovacije u Nastavi 2019; 32(1): 125–138.