- professional drivers,
- risk factors,
- cardiovascular diseases
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Aneta Atanasovska
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Aim of the paper was to determine the presence of risk factors for cardiovascular diseases (CVD) such as arterial hypertension, hyperlipidemia, hyperglycemia, overweight, smoking; and (ii) to analyze the link between the requirements of their job and the resources available to them. Materials and methods: A descriptive and analytical cross-sectional study was conducted involving 210 professional drivers who underwent a medical examination at the Institute for Occupational Health of the Republic of North Macedonia. The examination was done in order to assess their ability to drive a motor vehicle; they were also given a questionnaire to fill in so as to compare the requirements of the job and the resources available to them for doing their job. Results: One third of the respondents had increased levels of triglycerides, glycemia and cholesterol in their blood (33.3%, 28.1%, and 21.4%, respectively); almost half (44.2%) of them were active smokers. One third of the respondents (31.9%) were obese, with BMI >30 (kg/m2). The resources available to the professional drivers for doing their job exceed the requirements of the job and this situation has a protective effect on the occurrence of risk factors for CVD. Conclusion: The high prevalence of risk factors for CVD among professional drivers can lead to development of CVD and increased incidence thereof, which can negatively impact on their ability for safe driving. Hence the need for interventions to prevent these risk factors, including the need to invest in the resources available to professional drivers for doing their job.
- Ristikj B, Savinov P. Basics of traffic, Prosvetno delo, Skopje, 1990.
- Rulebook on the health criteria that must be met by candidates for drivers of motor vehicles. Official Gazette of RNM No.139/2008
- Alonso US, Cendales F, B. Autukevičiūtė CR, Serge, A. Burnout, Job strain and road accidents in the field of public transportation: The case of city bus drivers. J Environ Occup Sci 2017; (6): 1–7.
- Bahara O, Özkan T, Lajunen T. Professional and non-professional drivers’ stress reactions and risky driving. Transp Res Part F Traffic Psychol Behav 2010; 13: 32–40.
- Tse JLM, Flin R, Mearns K. Bus driver well-being review: 50 Years of research. Transp. Part F Traffic Psychol Behav 2006; 9: 89–114.
- Hege A, Perko M, Johnson A, Yu CH, Sönmez S, Apostolopoulos Y. Surveying the impact of work hours and schedules on commercial motor vehicle driver sleep. Saf Health Work 2015; 6: 104–113.
- Useche S, Gómez V, Cendales B. Stress-related psychosocial factors at work, fatigue, and risky driving behavior in bus rapid transport (BRT) drivers. Accid Anal Prev 2017; 104: 106–114.
- Santos J, Lu J. Occupational safety conditions of bus drivers in metro manila. Int J Occup Saf Ergon 2016; 22: 508–513.
- Jones W, Haslam R, Haslam C. Measuring job quality: A study with bus drivers. Appl Ergon 2014; 45: 1641–1648.
- Biggs H, Dingsdag D, Stenson N. Fatigue factors affecting metropolitan bus drivers: A qualitative investigation. Work 2009; 32: 5–10.
- Ragland DR, Winkleby MA, Schwalbe J, Holman BL, Morse L, Syme SL, Fisher JM. Prevalence of arterial hypertension in bus drivers. Int J Epidemiol 1987; 16(2):208–214.
- Jovanovic J, Batanjac J, Jovanovic M, Bulat P, Torbica N, Vesovic. Occupational profile and cardiac risks: mechanisms and implications for professional drivers. Int J Occup Med Environ Health 1998; 11(2):145–152.
- Shin SY, Lee CG, Song HS, Kim SH, Lee HS, Jung MS, Yoo SK. Cardiovascular disease risk of bus drivers in a city of Korea. Ann Occup Environ Med 2013; 25(1):34 DOI 10.1186/2052-4374-25-34.
- Netterstrom B, Juel K. Impact of work-related and psychosocial factors on the development of ischemic heart disease among urban bus drivers in Denmark. Scand J Work Environ Health 1988; 14(4):231–238 DOI 10.5271/sjweh.1927.
- Alperovitch-Najenson D, Santo Y, Masharawi Y, Katz-Leurer M, Ushvaev D, Kalichman L. Low back pain among professional bus drivers: ergonomic and occupational psychosocial risk factors. Israel Medicine Association Journal 2010; 12(1):26–31.
- Bulduk EÖ, Bulduk S, Süren T, Oval F. Assessing exposure to risk factors for work-related musculoskeletal disorders using quick exposure check (QEC) in taxi drivers. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 2014; 44(6):817–820 DOI 10.1016/j.ergon.2014.10.002.
- Koda S, Yasuda N, Sugihara Y, Ohara H, Udo H, Otani T, et al. Analyses of work-relatedness of health problems among truck drivers by questionnaire survey. Sangyo Eiseigaku Zasshi 2000;42(1):6–16 DOI 10.1539/sangyoeisei.kj00002552185.
- Howard ME, Jackson ML, Kennedy GA, Swann P, Barnes M, Pierce RJ. The interactive effects of extended wakefulness and low-dose alcohol on simulated driving and vigilance. Sleep. 2007;30(10):1334-40.
- Vakulin A, Baulk SD, Catcheside PG, Anderson R, van den Heuvel CJ, Banks S, McEvoy RD. Effects of moderate sleep deprivation and low-dose alcohol on driving simulator performance and perception in young men. Sleep. 2007;30(10):1327-33
- New standards and guidelines for drivers with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Report of the Obstructive Sleep Apnea Working Group. Brussels, 2013.
- Mansur AP, Rocha MA, Leyton V, Takada JY, Avakian SD, Santos AJ, et al. Risk factors for cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome and sleepiness in truck drivers. Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia 2015; 105(6):560–565 DOI 10.5935/abc.20150132.
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2016. Commercial motor vehicle driver fatigue, long-term health, and highway safety: research needs. Washington, D.C.: The National Academies Press.
- Bigert C, Klerdal K, Hammar N, Hallqvist J, Gustavsson P. Time trends in the incidence of myocardial infarction among professional drivers in Stockholm 1977-96. Occup Environ Med 2004;61(12):987–91.
- Rosengren A, Anderson K, Wilhelmsen L. Risk of coronary heart disease in middle-aged male bus and tram drivers compared to men in other occupations: a prospective study. Int J Epidemiol. 1991;20(1):82–7.
- Tüchsen F, Bach E, Marmot M. Occupation and hospitalization with ischaemic heart diseases: a new nationwide surveillance system based on hospital admissions. Int J Epidemiol. 1992;21(3):450–59.
- Apantaku-Onayemi F, Baldyga W, Amuwo S, Adefuye A, Mason T, Mitchell R, et al. Driving to better health: cancer and cardiovascular risk assessment among taxi cab operators in Chicago. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2012;23(2):768–80.
- Brucker N, Moro AM, Charão MF, Durgante J, Freitas F, Baierle M, et al. Biomarkers of occupational exposure to air pollution, inflammation and oxidative damage in taxi drivers. Sci Total Environ. 2013;463-464:884–93.
- Platek AE, Szymanski FM, Filipiak KJ, Kotkowski M, Rys A, Semczuk-Kaczmarek K, Adamkiewicz K. Prevalence of Hypertension in Professional Drivers (from the RACER-ABPM Study). Am J Cardiol. 2017;120(10):1792-1796. doi: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2017.07.086. .
- Hentschel U, Bijleveld CC, Kiessling M, Hosemann A. 1993. Stress-related psychophysiological reactions of truck drivers in relation to anxiety, defense, and situational factors. Accident Analysis & Prevention 25(2):115–121 DOI 10.1016/0001-4575(93)90050-7.
- Shattell M, Apostolopoulos Y, Collins C, Sönmez S, Fehrenbacher C. 2012. Trucking organization and mental health disorders of truck drivers. Issues in Mental Health Nursing 33(7):436–444 DOI 10.3109/01612840.2012.665156.
- Winkleby M A, Ragland D R, Fisher JM, Syme SL. Excess risk of sickness and disease in bus drivers: A review and synthesis of epidemiological studies. Int J Epidemiol 1988; 17, 255-261.
- Hitosugi M G S, Okubo T, Tokudome S. Sudden illness while driving a vehicle – a retrospective analysis of commercial drivers in Japan. Scand J Work Environ Health 2012; 38(1), 84-87.
- Rulebook on the method of performing medical examination of drivers of motor vehicles, the criteria regarding the staff and the equipment for performing medical examination, as well as the method and procedure for issuing a health certificate for psychophysical ability to operate a motor vehicle. Official Gazette of RNM No.139/2008
- Cvetanov V Stikova E, Karadzinska-Bislimovska J. Health condition and work ability. Skopje: Health Center of Skopje. Insituton od occupational medicine; 1989.
- Guidelines for medical care in arterial hypertension. Cardiology. Guidelines for the Practice of Evidence-Based Medicine. Ministry of Health. Last revised November 2015.Available at http://zdravstvo.gov.mk/upatstva_update/Accessed at 12.01.2022
- Mancia G, Fagard R, et al. 2013 ESH/ESC Guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension. European Heart Journal 2013; 34: 2159–2219
- World Health Organization (WHO). Guidelines for controlling and monitoring the tobbaco epidemic. Geneva: World Health Organization (WHO); 1998.
- United States Patent Application Publication. Spectrophotometric blood glucose determination apparatus and determination method thereof. United States Patent Application Publication; 2002 https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/44/e4/4e/5122d1d9a0243a/US20020123677A1.pdf
- United States Patent. Method for the simultaneous and direct determination of serum cholesterol in high and low density lipoproteins using infrared spectroscopy. United States Patent; 2006.
- Gascón S, Martínez-Jarreta B, González-Andrade JF, Santed MA, Casalod Y, Rueda MA. Aggression towards health care workers in Spain: a multi-facility study to evaluate the distribution of growing violence among professionals, health facilities and departments. Int J Occup Environ Health 2009;15(1):29-35.
- National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. (2005b). Traffic safety facts, 2004: Large trucks. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/
- Tigha-Bouaziz N, Baaziz I, Nezzal A. Impact of driving on blood pressure: Example of drivers of a large company of hydraulic works. Archives of Cardiovascular Diseases Supplements Elsevier August 2019
- Belkić, Karen, et al. Mechanisms of cardiac risk among professional drivers. Scand J Work Environ Health 1994;20(2): 73–86,
- Hirata RP, Sampaio LM, Leitão Filho FS, Braghiroli A, Balbi B, Romano S, et al. General characteristics and risk factors of cardiovascular disease among interstate bus drivers. Scientific World Journal 2012; 2012:216702. doi: 10.1100/2012/216702.
- Izadi N, Malek M, Aminian O. et al. Medical risk factors of diabetes mellitus among professional drivers. J Diabetes Metab Disord 2013; 12, 23 https://doi.org/10.1186/2251-6581-12-23
- Ronna BB, Thiese MS, Ott U, Effiong A, Murtaugh M, Kapellusch J, et al. The association between cardiovascular disease risk factors and motor vehicle crashes among professional truck drivers. Journal of occupational and environmental medicine/American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2016;58(8):828..
- Schaufeli W B, & Taris T W (2014). A critical review of the job demands-resources model: Implications for improving work and health. In G. F. Bauer & O. Hämmig (Eds.), Bridging occupational, organizational and public health: A transdisciplinary approach (pp. 43–68). Springer Science + Business Media. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-007-5640-3_4