Monitoring the reduction and maintenance of periprosthetic bone tissue in cementless primary hip endoprosthesis with alendronate therapy
- Alendronate therapy,
- bone tissue density,
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Ilir Shabani, Milan Samardziski, Viktor Kamnar, Neron Popovski, Antonio Gavrilovski, Shaban Memeti
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Loss of periprosthetic bone tissue in primary hip endoprostheses is common in clinical practice. This loss can be progressive and in extreme conditions can jeopardize the longevity of the prosthesis. In order to monitor the function of Alendronate therapy for bone maintenance, the study included 50 patients with implanted total cement-free hip endoprosthesis (TPH). The first group of 25 patients received Alendronate, calcium and vitamin D3 orally postoperatively. The second group of 25 patients were examined postoperatively without therapy. Patients were followed by radiographic and dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) at 6 and 12 months. The study showed that in patients with TPH there was a difference in the X-ray findings as well as occurrence of osteolysis in certain Gruen zones, which was confirmed by changes in the state of bone mineral density (BMD) and bone mineral content (BMC) in the interval between 6 and 12 months using the DXA method. Alendronate therapy after TPH implantation allows reduction of periprosthetic bone mass loss, maintenance of bone mineralization and implant hardening.
- Kobayashi S, Saito N, Horiuchi H, Iorio R, Takaoka K. Poor bone quality or hip structure as a risk factors affecting survival of total hip arthroplasty. Lancet 2000;355:1499-1504
- Taylor M,Tanner KE. Fatique failure of cancellous bone: a possible cause of implant migration and loosening. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1997;779:181-182
- Bobyn JD,Mortimer ES,Glassman AH et al:Producing and avoiding stress shielding.Labaratory and Clinical observation of noncemented total hip arthroplasty. Clinical Ortop. And relat. Res. 1992;274:79-96
- Huiskes R. The various stress patterns of press fit, ingrown, and noncemented femoral stems. Cl Orth And RelRes 1990;26127-38
- Sychterz CJ,Engha CA:The influence of clinical factors on periprostethic bone remodeling Cl Orth And Rel Res1995;322:285-292
- Kiratli BJ,Checovich MM.Mc Beath AA,Wilson MA,Heiner JP:Measurment of bone mineral density by DEXA in patiens with a Wisconsin hip,an uncemented femoral stem. J Arthroplasty 1996;1(2):184-193
- Hosking D, Chilvers CE, Christiansen C et al: Prevention ofbone loss with Alendronate in postmenopausal women under60 years of age. Early Postmenopausal Intervention CohortStudy Group. N Engl J Med 1998;338(8):485–492)
- McCarthy CK, Steinberg GG, Agren M, Leahey D, Wyman E, Baran DT. Quantifying bone loss from the proximal femur after total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1991; 73(5):774-778.
- Kiratli BJ, Checovich MM, McBeath AA, Wilson MA, Heiner JP. Measurement of bone mineral density by dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry in patients with the Wisconsin hip, an uncemented femoral stem. J Arthroplasty 1996; 11(2):184-193.
- Kröger H, Venesmaa P, Jurvelin J, Miettinen H, Suomalainen O, Alhava E. Bone density at the proximal femur after total hop arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1998; (352):66-74.
- Brodner W, Bitzan P, Lomoschitz F, et al. Changes in bone mineral density in the proximal femur after cementless total hip arthroplasty. A five-year longitudinal study. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2004; 86(1):20-26.
- Braun A, Papp J, Reiter A. The periprosthetic bone remodeling process—signs of vital bone reaction. Int Orthop 2003; 27(Suppl 1):S7-10.
- Kobayashi S, Saito N, Horiuchi H, Iorio R, Takaoka K. Poor bone quality or hip structure as risk factors affecting survival of total-hip arthroplasty. Lancet 2000; 355(9214):1499-1504.
- Woolf AD, Akesson K. Preventing fractures in elderly people. BMJ 2003; 327(7406):89-95.
- Shanbhag AS. Use of bisphosphonates to improve the durability of total joint replacements. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2006; 14(4):215-225.
- Charnley J. Low friction arthroplasty of the hip theory and practice. New York , NY:Spingr Verlog;1979
- Older J.Charnley low-friction arthroplasty: a worldwide retrospective review at 15 to 20 yars. J Arthroplasty 2002;17:675-680
- Wroblewski BM,Charnley J. Radiographic morphology of the osteoarthritis hip. J Bone Joint surg Br 1982;64:568-569.
- Tapaninen TS, Venesmaa PK, Jurvelin JS, Miettinen HJ, Kröger HP. Alendronate reduces periprosthetic bone loss after uncemented primary total hip arthroplasty—a 5-year follow-up of 16 patients. Scand J Surg 2010; 99(1):32-37.
- Arabmotlagh M, Rittmeister M, Hennigs T. Alendronate prevents femoral periprosthetic bone losss following total hip arthroplasty: prospective randomized double-blind study. J Orthop Res 2004; 24(7):1336-1341.
- Venesmaa PK, Kröger HP, Miettinen HJ, Jurvelin JS, Suomalainen OT, Alhav EM. Alendronate reduces periprosthetic bone loss after uncemented primary total hip arthroplasty: a prospective randomized study. J Bone Miner Res 2001; 16(11):2126-31.
- Zhao X, Hu D, Qin J, Mohanan R, Chen L. Effect of bisphosphonates in preventing femoral periprosthetic bone resorption after primary cementless total hip arthroplasty: a meta-analysis. J Orthop Surg Res. 2015;10:65
- Nehme A, Maalouf G, Tricoire JL, Giordano G, Chiron P, Puget J. Effect of Alendronate on periprosthetic bone loss after uncemented primary total hip arthroplasty: A prospective randomized study. Rev Chir Orthoped Reparatrice Appar Mot.2003.
- Nishioka T, Yagi S, Mitsuhashi T, et al. Alendronate inhibits periprosthetic bone loss around uncemented femoral components. J Bone Miner Metab 2007; 25(3):179-183.
- Wilkinson JM, Stockley I, Peel NF, et al. Effect of pamidronate in preventing local bone loss after total hip arthroplasty: a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial. J Bone Miner Res 2001; 16(3):556-564.
- Devogelaer JP, Broll H, Correa-Rotter R, Cumming DC, Nagant de Deuxchaisnes C, et al. Oral Alendronate induces progressive increases in bone mass of the spine, hip, and total bodz over 3 years in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. Bone 1996; 2:141-150.
- Black DM,Cummings SR,Karpf DB,Cauley JA,Thompson DE,Nevit MC,Bauer DC,Genant HK et all 1996 Randomised trial of effect of Alendronate on risk of fracture in womwn withexisting vertebral fractures.Lancet 7:1535-1541.