Design of feasibility study for the establishment of production of zirconium-89 radioisotope and implementation of of 89 Zr-radiopharmaceuticals in clinical practice in the Republic of North Macedonia
- feasibility study,
- zirconium-89 radioisotope,
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Katerina Kolevska, Marija Atanasova-Lazareva, Maja Chochevska, Maja Velichkovska, Filip Jolevski, Toni Tripunoski, Shaban Memeti, Ana Ugrinska, Bistra Angelovska
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In the last decade, the application of radiopharmaceuticals based on zirconium-89 (89Zr) radiometal has increased in both preclinical and clinical studies. The most frequently used 89Zr-radiopharmaceutical is 89Zr-trastuzumab used in the management of patients with breast cancer. Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women in North Macedonia and the most common cause of death from malignant neoplasms in this population; therefore, the introduction of new nuclear medicine procedures in these patients might improve the management of this disease. However,the introduction of radioisotope and radiopharmaceutical production requires significant investments, both manpower and financial. The purpose of this work is to present the design conceptualization of a feasibility study for the establishment of production of zirconium-89 radioisotope and implementation of 89Zr-radiopharmaceuticals in clinical practice in the Republic of North Macedonia and to present the initial results from the first phases of the study. This feasibility study is designed to include preliminary analysis, market research, technical feasibility analysis, economic analysis, review and analysis of all data and feasibility conclusion. The evaluation of the data from the analyses conducted in all study phases is needed to identify the favourable and unfavourable factors and circumstances in order to make a final assessment of the feasibility of establishing the zirconium-89 radioisotope and 89Zr-radiopharmaceuticals production and implementation of 89Zr-trastuzumab use in nuclear medicine practice.
- European Pharmacopoeia (Ph. Eur.) 10.0, General monographs, Radiopharmaceutical Preparations, 2016; (07/2016:0125).
- United States Pharmacopeia (USP). USP–NF Issue 1. Radioactivity General Chapter, 2021; 821.
- Brandt M, Cardinale J, Aulsebrook ML, Gasser G, Mindt TL. An Overview of PET Radiochemistry, Part 2: Radiometals. J Nucl Med. 2018; 59(10), 1500–1506. https://doi.org/10.2967/jnumed.117.190801
- Yoon JK, Park B N, Ryu EK, An YS, Lee SJ. Current Perspectives on 89Zr-PET Imaging. Int J Mol Sci. 2020; 21(12), 4309. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms21124309
- Kasbollah A, Eu P, Cowell S, DebP. Review on production of 89Zr in a medical cyclotron for PET radiopharmaceuticals. J Nucl Med Technol. 2013; 41(1), 35–41. https://doi.org/10.2967/jnmt.112.111377
- ClinicalTrials.gov. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/
- Severin GW, Engle JW, Barnhart TE, Nickles RJ. 89Zr radiochemistry for positron emission tomography. Med Chem. 2011; 7(5), 389–394. https://doi.org/10.2174/157340611796799186
- Jalilian AR, Osso JA. Production, applications and status of zirconium-89 immunoPET agents. J Radioanal Nucl Chem. 2017; 314, 7–21. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10967-017-5358-z
- Aluicio-Sarduy E, Ellison PA, Barnhart TE, Cai W, Nickles RJ, Engle JW. PET radiometals for antibody labeling. J Labelled Comp Radiopharm. 2018; 61(9), 636–651. https://doi.org/10.1002/jlcr.3607
- Global Cancer Observatory (GCO), International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), 2021. Population Fact Sheets. Available at: https://gco.iarc.fr/today/fact-sheets-populations
- Institute of Public Health of Republic North Macedonia. Mortality Register. Mortality in Republic North Macedonia 2020. Skopje, 2021.
- Institute of Public Health of Republic North Macedonia. Cancer Register. Cancer in the Republic of North Macedonia, 2011-2020. Skopje, 2021.
- IAEA Database of Cyclotrons for Radionuclide Production. Available at: https://nucleus.iaea.org/sites/accelerators/Pages/Cyclotron.aspx
- Arikian SR, Suver J, Einarson T, Doyle J. Economic and quality of life outcomes: the four-step pharmacoeconomic research model. Oncology (Williston Park). 1995; 9 (11 Suppl), 33-36.
- Walley T, Haycox A. Pharmacoeconomics: basic concepts and terminology. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1997; 43(4), 343–348. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2125.1997.00574.x
- Tömöri G, Bács Z. Application of Cost Analysis Methods in Pharmacoeconomic Decisions. Procedia Economics and Finance. 2015; 32, 416-422. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(15)01412-4
- Tonin FS, Aznar-Lou I, Pontinha VM, Pontarolo R, Fernandez-Llimos F. Principles of pharmacoeconomic analysis: the case of pharmacist-led interventions. Pharm Pract. 2021; 19(1), 2302. https://doi.org/10.18549/PharmPract.2021.1.2302
- Bowen D, Kreuter M, Spring B, Cofta-Woerpel L, Linnan L, Weiner D, et al. How we design feasibility studies. Am J Prev Med. 2009; 36(5), 452–457. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2009.02.002
- Dijkers EC, Oude Munnink T H, Kosterink JG, Brouwers A H, Jager P L, de Jong JR, et al. Biodistribution of 89Zr-trastuzumab and PET imaging of HER2-positive lesions in patients with metastatic breast cancer. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2010; 87(5), 586–592. https://doi.org/10.1038/clpt.2010.12
- Gaykema SB, Brouwers AH, Hovenga S, Lub-de Hooge MN, de Vries EG, Schröder CP. Zirconium-89-trastuzumab positron emission tomography as a tool to solve a clinical dilemma in a patient with breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30(6), e74–e75. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.38.0204
- Bensch F, Brouwers AH, Lub-de Hooge MN, de Jong JR, van der Vegt B, Sleijfer S, et al. 89Zr-trastuzumab PET supports clinical decision making in breast cancer patients, when HER2 status cannot be determined by standard work up. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2018; 45(13), 2300–2306. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00259-018-4099-8
- Dehdashti F, Wu N, Bose R, Naughton MJ, Ma CX, Marquez-Nostra BV, et al. Evaluation of [89Zr]trastuzumab-PET/CT in differentiating HER2-positive from HER2-negative breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2018; 169(3), 523–530. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-018-4696-z
- Munnink TO, Dijkers E, Lub-de Hooge M, Kosterink J, Brouwers A, de Jong G, et al. HER-2-PET imaging with 89Zr-trastuzumab in metastatic breast cancer patients. J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27(15_suppl), 1045. https://ascopubs.org/doi/full/10.1200/jco.2009.27.15_suppl.1045