How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Valentina Koevska, Erieta Nikolic-Dimitrova, Biljana Mitrevska, Cvetanka Gjerakaroska-Savevska, Marija Gocevska, Biljana Kalcovska
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Osteoarthritis is a rheumatic disease characterized by degeneration and decay of cartilage in the joints. As the disease worsens, the joint space narrows causing numbness and pain, which often impairs movement. In addition to pharmacological therapy, low-intensity laser (LILT), high-intensity laser (HILT) and exercise are used to treat osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee. HILT is a new modality in our country and the experience from its application is small, especially in the treatment of OA of the knee. Aim of the paper was to compare the effect of HILT with LILT in the treatment of OA of the knee. Material and methods: This was a randomized comparative unilateral blind study involving 72 patients divided into two groups. The first group was treated with HILT, the second group treated with LILT. Outcome measure was the visual analogue scale (VAS) for pain, which was made on the first and tenth day of treatment. Statistical significance was defined as p <0.05. Results: We found a significant difference between the two groups in terms of VAS score after 10 therapies in favor to a significantly lower score, that is, less pain in the HILT group (p = 0.0035). The comparison of the VAS score between the two times in the two groups separately showed that in both, the HILT and the LILT groups, the VAS score after 10 days of therapy was significantly lower compared to thatat 0 time, for consequently p = 0.00001vsp = 0.00001. Conclusion: Treatment with HILT and LILT significantly reduces pain and stiffness in patients with OA. Patients treated with HILT had better results, i.e., had a significant reduction in pain than patients treated with LILT. HILT was more effective than LILT.
- World Health Organization, Background Paper 6.12, Osteoarthritis. Available at http://www.who.int/medicines/areas/priority medicines/BP6 12 Osteo.pdf
- Sinusas K. Osteoarthritis: diagnosis and treatment. American Family Physician 2012; 85(1): 49–56.
- Elboim-Gabyzon M, Rozen N, Laufer Y. Gender differences in pain perception and functional ability in subjects with knee osteoarthritis, ISRN Orthopedics. 2012; Article ID 413105, 4 p. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5402/2012/413105
- Beckwée et al. Effect of TENS on pain in relation to central sensitization in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee: study protocol of a randomized controlled trial. 2012; 13:21 http://www.trialsjournal.com/content/13/1/21 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/1745-6215-13-21
- Loyola SJ, Richardson А. Efficacy of ultrasound therapy for the management of knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review with meta-analysis, Review, osteoarthritis and cartilage. 2010; 18, p. 1117-1126. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2010.06.010
- Min Oo W, Thae Bo M. Efficacy of physical modalities in knee osteoarthritis: Recent recommendations. Int J Phys Med Rehabil 2016; 4: e112. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4172/2329-9096.1000e112
- Youssef E, Muaidi Q, Shanb A. Effect of laser therapy on chronic osteoarthritis of the knee in older subjects. J Lasers Med Sci 2016; 7(2):112-9. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15171/jlms.2016.19
- Nakamura T, Ebihara S, Ohkuni I, et al. Low Level Laser Therapy for chronic knee joint pain patients. Laser Ther 2014;23(4):273-277. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5978/islsm.14-OR-21
- Ferreira de Meneses SR, Hunter DJ, Young D E, Pasqual Marques A. Effect of low-level laser therapy (904 nm) and static stretching in patients with knee osteoarthritis: a protocol of randomised controlled trial. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2015;16:252. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12891-015-0709-9
- Hegeduus et al. The Effect of Low-Level Laser in knee osteoarthritis: A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Photomedicine and Laser Surgery 2009;27(4): 577–584.
- Songa HJ, Seob HJ, Kimc D. Effectiveness of high-intensity laser therapy in the management of patients with knee osteoarthritis: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation 2020; 33: 875–884. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3233/BMR-191738
- Ezzati K, Laakso EL, Salari A. et al. The beneficial effects of high-intensity laser therapy and co-interventions on musculoskeletal pain management: a systematic review. J Lasers Med Sci 2020;11(1):81-90. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15171/jlms.2020.14
- Štiglić-Rogoznica N et al. Analgesic effect of High Intensity Laser Therapy in knee osteoarthritis. Coll Antropol 2011; 35( 2): 183–185.
- White PF, Cao X, Elvir-Lazo L, Hernandez H . Effect of High-Intensity Laser Treatments on chronic pain related to osteoarthritis in former professional athletes: A case series. J Mol Biomark Diagn 2017; 8: 343.
- Николиќ-Димитрова Е. Основи на физикална терапија. Ласеротерапија (второ издание). Ласерџет, Скопје. 2011;195.
- Ray M. Laser therapy and osteoarthritis disability: An update of an unresolved topic. Nov Tech Arthritis Bone Res 2017; 2(2): 555-585.
- Moskvin SV, Kochetkov AV. Effective techniques of low level laser therapy. M. Tver: Triada, 2017;88 p.
- Niemz M. Laser-Tissue Interactions-Fundamentals and Applications, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 3rd edition, 2007.
- Santamato A, Solfrizzi V, Panza F, et al. Short-term effects of high-intensity laser therapy versus ultrasound therapy in the treatment of people with subacromialimpingement syndrome: a randomized clinical trial. PhysTher 2009; 89: 643–652. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2522/ptj.20080139
- Gillian A H, Samra M, Tetyana K, Melissa F. Measures of adult pain: Visual Analog Scale for Pain (VAS Pain), Numeric Rating Scale for Pain (NRS Pain), McGill Pain Questionnaire (MPQ), Short-Form McGill Pain Questionnaire (SF-MPQ), Chronic Pain Grade Scale (CPGS), Short Form-36 Bodily Pain Scale (SF-36 BPS), and Measure of Intermittent and Constant Osteoarthritis Pain (ICOAP). Arthritis Care & Research, 2011; 63 (S11): S240–S252. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.20543
- Jensen MP, Chen C, Brugger AM. Interpretation of visual analog scale ratings and change scores: a reanalysis of two clinical trials of postoperative pain. J Pain 2003;4:407–14. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S1526-5900(03)00716-8
- Rubio CR, Cremonezzi D, Moya M et al. Helium–neon laser reduces the inflammatory process of arthritis. Photomed Laser Surg 2010; 28(1):125–129 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1089/pho.2008.2472
- Shen X, Zhao L, Ding G. Effect of combined laser acupuncture on knee osteoarthritis: a pilot study. Lasers Med Sci 2009; 24(2):129–136 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-007-0536-9
- Alfredo PP, Bjordal JM, Dreyer SH, еt al. Efficacy of low level laser therapy associated with exercises in knee osteoarthritis: a randomized double blind study. Clin Rehabil 2012; 26(6):523–533 32. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215511425962
- Tascioglu F, Armagan O, Tabak Y, Corapci L, Oner C. Low power laser treatment in patients with knee osteoarthritis. Swiss Med Wkly 2004; 134:254–258 33.
- Hsieh RL, Lo MT, Liao WC, Lee WC. Short-term effects of 890-nanometer radiation on pain physical activity, and postural stability in patients with knee osteoarthritis: a double-blind, randomized placebo-controlled study. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2012; 93:757–764 34. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2012.01.003
- Rayegani SM, Bahrami MH, Elyaspour D, Mahdi S, Hosein С. Therapeutic effects of low level laser therapy (LLLT) in knee osteoarthritis, compared to therapeutic ultrasound. J Lasers Med Sci 2012; 3(2): 71–74
- Alghadir A, Omar MT, Al-Askar AB, Al-Muteri NK. Effect of low-level laser therapy in patients with chronic knee osteoarthritis: a single-blinded randomized clinical study. Lasers Med Sci. 2014 ;29(2):749-55 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-013-1393-3
- Yurtkuran M, Alp A, Konur S, Ozçakir S, Bingol U. Laser acupuncture in knee osteoarthritis: a double-blind, randomized controlled study. Photomed Laser Surg 2007; 25(1):14–20. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1089/pho.2006.1093
- Hegedus B, Viharos L, Gervain M, Galfi M. The effect of lowlevel laser in knee osteoarthritis: a double blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Photomed Laser Surg 2009; 27(4):577–584. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1089/pho.2008.2297
- White PF, Cao X, Elvir-Lazo L, Hernandez H. Effect of High-Intensity Laser Treatments on chronic pain related to osteoarthritis in former professional athletes: A case series. J Mol Biomark Diagn 2017; 8: 343. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4172/2155-9929.1000343
- Alayat MS, Atya AM, Ali MM, Shosha TM. Long-term effect of high-intensity laser therapy in the treatment of patients with chronic low back pain: a randomized blinded placebo-controlled trial. Lasers Med Sci. 2014 May;29(3):1065-73. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-013-1472-5
- Fiore P, Panza F, Cassatella G, Russo A, Frisardi V et al. Short-term effects of high-intensity laser therapy versus ultrasound therapy in the treatment of low back pain: a randomized controlled trial. Eur J Phys Rehabil Med 2011; 47(3):367–73.
- Gocevska M, Nikolikj-Dimitrova E, Gjerakaroska-Savevska C. Effects of High - Intensity Laser in treatment of patients with chronic low back pain. Open Access Maced J Med Sci 2019;7(6):949-954. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3889/oamjms.2019.117
- Saggini R, Bellomo RG, Cancelli F. Hilterapia and chronic ankle pain syndromes. Abstract from Energy for Health; International journal of information and scientific culture. 2009; 3(3):22–25:38. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/03946320090220S305
- Chow RT, Johnson MI, Lopes-Martins RA, Bjordal JM. Efficacy of low-level laser therapy in the management of neck pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised placebo or active-treatment controlled trials. Lancet 2009; 374(9705): 1897-90. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61522-1
- Casale R, Damiani C, Maestri R, Wells CD. Pain and electrophysiological parameters are improved by combined 830– 1064 high-intensity LASER in symptomatic carpal tunnel syndrome versus Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation. A randomized controlled study. Eur J Phys Rehabil Med 2013; 49(2): 205-11.
- Kim SH, Kim YH, Lee HR, Choi YE. Short-term effects of high-intensity laser therapy on frozen shoulder: A prospective randomized control study. Man Ther 2015; 20(6): 751-7. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2015.02.009
- Akkurt E, Kucuksen S, Yılmaz H, Parlak S et al. Long term effects of high intensity laser therapy in lateral epicondylitis patients. Lasers Med Sci 2016; 31(2): 249-53. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-015-1841-3
- Alayat MS, Elsodany AM, El Fiky AA. Efficacy of high and low level laser therapy in the treatment of Bell’s palsy: a randomized double blind placebo-controlled trial. Lasers Med Sci 2013; 29(1):335– 342. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-013-1352-z
- Huang Z, Chen J, Ma J, Shen B, Pei F, Kraus V. Effectiveness of low-level laser therapy in patients with knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2015;23:1437-44. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2015.04.005
- Rayegani SM, Seyed Ahmad Raeissadat SA, Heidari S, Moradi-Joo M. Safety and effectiveness of low-level laser therapy in patients with knee osteoarthritis: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Lasers in Medical Sciences 2017; 8: Suppl 1. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15171/jlms.2017.s3
- Viliani C, Martini G, Mangone G, Pasquetti P. High intensive laser therapy in knee osteoarthritis: Comparison between two different pulsed-laser treatment protocol. Energy for Health 2010; 5: 26-29.
- Kim JH, Lee S, Kim JH, Kim KS, Yoo CW, Chun TH. Efficacy of high intensity laser therapy in the mild osteoarthritis of the knee: A randomized double-blind controlled trial. J Korean Orthop Res Soc 2009;12(2):53-59.
- Angelova A,. Ilieva EM. Effectiveness of high intensity laser therapy for reduction of pain in knee osteoarthritis, clinical study. Hindawi Publishing Corporation Pain Research and Management 2016, Article ID 9163618, p.11 http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/9163618 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/9163618
- Gook-Joo K, Jioun C, Sangyong L et al. The effects of high intensity laser therapy on pain and function in patients with knee osteoarthritis. J Phys Ther Sci 2016; 28: 3197– 3199. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.28.3197
- Nazari A, Moezy A, Nejati P, Mazaherinezhad A. Efficacy of high-intensity laser therapy in comparison with conventional physiotherapy and exercise therapy on pain and function of patients with knee osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trial. Lasers Med Sci. 2019;34(3):505-516. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-018-2624-4