- oral health,
- soft oral tissues,
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Aneta Mijoska, Gordana Kovachevska, Sasho Jovanovski, Емилија Бајрактарова-Валјакова, Vesna Jurukovska Sotarovska, Blagoja Dastevski, Marjan Petkov, Efka Zabokova-Bilbilova, Daniela Srbinovska, Vesna Trpevska
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The geriatric population in R. Macedonia presents a specific group that needs continuous evaluation of their oral health. According to WHO data in 2010, 12 % of the population was aged 65+ years in Macedonia. Aging is the process with different specific changes in all systems and organs, including the orofacial system. The most common conditions associated with age in the geriatric population are teeth loss, parodontopathy, precancerous lesions and oral carcinomas, xerostomia, resorption of the residual alveolar ridge, and overall dysfunction of the orofacial system. There is a great influence of the performed prosthodontic therapy in geriatric patients on the overall and general health. The aim of this study was to evaluate the condition of the soft tissues in geriatric patients, especially in patients with prosthodontic treatments, their oral health, and the influence of oral health on life quality. Мaterial and methods: Оbservational cross-sectional study was conducted in geriatric patients and Geriatric Oral Health Assessment Index (GOHAI) was used for self-assessment of their oral health and the impact of oral conditions and performed dental treatment on quality of life. Results: Participants witha mean age of 72.88 years reported several general and systemic diseases, and the main risk factors for their oral mucosal changes were smoking and drinking alcohol. Total anodontiа was observed in 37.5% of respondents and partial anodontia in 62.5%. The average period of wearing dentures was 7.8 years. The total scoreof the quality of life and oral health of the respondents varied in the interval 1.93 ± 0.65, and the average value in the subjects with prosthetic constructions for p> 0.05 (p = 0.19) was slightly higher in relation to the subjects without any prosthodontic device. Conclusion: GOHAI-12 score in the study had a low value, less than 50 indicated that the respondents were in poor oral health. According to the results of the self-assessment, there was a weak to moderate perception of oral health. An integrated approach is needed to achieve a critical positive level of general and oral health in geriatric patients
- Статистички преглед: население и социјални статистики. Социјална заштита на деца, млади и воздрасни лица во Република Македонија, 2008-2009. Државен завод за сатистика на Р. Македонија, октомври 2009.
- WorldHealthOrganization. Active Ageing: a Policy Framework. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO; 2002.
- Nikolovska J, Korunoska-Stevkovska V, Mijoska A, Popovska L. Prosthodontics status and treatment needs among the elderly in the Republic of Macedonia. Open Access Maced J Med Sci 2018;15;6(5):874-878.
- Guiglia R, Musciotto A, Compilato D, Procaccini M, Lo Russo L, Ciavarella D, et l. Aging and oral health: effects in hard and soft tissues. Curr Pharm Des. 2010;16(6):619-30.
- Sapurikj M, Tozija F. Oral health strategy for elderly people over 65 years – public health priority in the Republic of Macedonia. Archives of public health. 2011; 3, (1): 54-61.
- Diz P, Meleti M, Diniz-Freitas M, Vescovi P, Warnakulasuriy S, Johnson NW, Kerr AR. Oral and pharyngeal cancer in Europe: Incidence mortality and trends as presented to the Global Oral Cancer Forum. Translational Research in Oral Oncology. 2017; (2): 1-13.
- FerlayJ, Steliarova-FoucherE, Lortet-TieulentJ, Rosso S, Coebergh JWW, Comber H, et al. Cancer incidence and mortality patterns in Europe: Estimates for 40 countries in 2012. European Journal of Cancer 2013; 49: 1374–1403.
- Boyle P, Ferlay J. Cancer incidence and mortality in Europe, 2004. Ann Oncol 2005; 16(3):481–488
- Sischo L, Broder HL. Oral health-related quality of life: what, why, how, and future implications. J Dent Res. 2011; 90(11):1264-70.
- Inukai M, John MT, Igarashi Y, Baba K. Association between perceived chewing ability and oral health-related quality of life in partially dentate patients. Health Qual Life Outcomes.2010; 8:118.
- Cohen-Carneiro F, Souza Santos R, Rebelo MA. Quality of life-related to oral health: contribution from social factor. Cien Saude Colet. 2011; 16 (1): 1007-1015.
- Astrom AN, Ekback G, Ordell S, Unell L. Social inequality in oral health-related quality of life OHRQoL at early older age: Evidence from a prospective cohort study. Acta Odontol Scand. 2011; 69(6):334-42.
- Razak PA, Richard KM, Thankachan RP, Hafiz KA, Kumar KN, Sameer KM. Geriatric Oral Health: A Review Article. J Int Oral Health 2014; 6(6):110-116.
- Steele JG, Sanders AE, Slade GD, Allen PF, Lahti S, Nuttall N, Spencer AJ. How do age and tooth loss affect oral health impacts and quality of life? A study comparing two national samples. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2004;32:107–114.
- McKenna G, Burke FM. Age-Related Oral Changes. Dental update-gerontology. 2010; 37: 519-523.
- Kiefer JM, Verrips GH, Hoogstraten J. The complexity of the concept oral health related quality of life. Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd. 2011; 118: 142-144.
- Farias Neto A, Mestriner JW, da Fonte Porto Carreiro A. Masticatory efficiency in denture wearers with bilateral balanced occlusion and canine guidance. Braz Dent J (2010) 21(2): 165-169.
- Mack F,Mojon P,Budtz-Jørgensen Eetal.Caries and periodontal disease of the elderly in Pomerania,Germany: results of the Study of Health in Pomerania.Gerodontology. 2004; 21:27–36.
- Soderpalm-Anderson E, So derfeldt, B,Kro-nstro ̈mM. Oral health and treatment need among older individuals living in nursing homes in Skara-borg, Vastra Gotaland, Sweden.Swed Dent J2006;30:109–115
- Kenig N, Nikolovska J. Assessing the psychometric characteristics of the Macedonian version of the Oral Health Impact Profile questionnaire (OHIP-MAC49). Oral health and dental management. 2012; 11(1):29-38.
- Zenthöfer A, Rammelsberg P, Cabrera T, Schröder J, Hassel AJ. Determinants of oral health-related quality of life of the institutionalized elderly. Psychogeriatrics. 2014; 14:247–54.
- Dolan TA. The sensitivity of the Geriatric Oral Health Assessment Index to dental care. J Dent Educ. 1997; 61(1):37-46.
- Atchison KA, Dolan TA. Development of the Geriatric Oral Health Assessment Index. J Dent Educ. 1990; 54:680–7.