Determination of ultrasructural changes in the enamel of primary teeth in starting phases of early childhood caries, with and without local fluoride therapy
- primary teeth,
- Scanning Electronic Microscope
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Olga Kokoceva-Ivanovska
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Early childhood caries is often found under the name connected with the manner of feeding nutrition of children such as “Baby bottle Syndrome” or “Baby bottle caries”. The aim of the study was to determine ultrastructural changes in the enamel of primary teeth in starting phases of early childhood caries, with and without local fluoride therapy, because it has of great influence in the preventive aspect of the disease. The investigation was done on laboratory tests on tree groups extracted primary teeth: one of 20 healthy mandibular incisors, as control group and two more groups of primary tested teeth: 10 maxillary incisors with initial lesion and 10 maxillary incisors with superficial form. The all dental samples were observed with Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) and we made comparative analyzes in ultrastructural changes of enamel between untreated and treated teeth, and control group teeth. After that, we have analysis with SEM photo attachments. In some dental samples with initial lesion after local treatmant we managed to get almost healthy enamel, i.e. complete remineralization process. Once again, we have confirmation of one of the many benefits of fluoride in dentistry which is long been known.
- De Grauwe A, Aps JK, Martens LC. Early childhood caries (ECC): what’s in a name? Eur J Paediatr Dent 2004; 5 (2):62–70.PMID: 15198622
- American Academy of Pedodontics and the American Academy ofPediatrics. Policy on Early Childhood Caries (ECC): Classifications, Consequences, and Preventive Strategies. Reference manual V 37 / NO 6 15 / 16.
- Feldens CA, Giugliani ER, Duncan BB et al.. Long-term effectiveness of a nutritional program in reducing early childhood caries: a randomized trial. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2010; 38(4):324–32.10.1111/j.1600-0528.2010.00540.x. DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-0528.2010.00540.x
- Weerheijm KL, Uyttendaele-Speybrouck BF, Euwe HC at al. Prolonged demand breast-feeding and nursing caries. Caries Res 1998;32(1):46-50.
- Widyagarini A, Sutadi H, Budiardjo SB. Serotype c and Streptococcus mutans from Dental Plaque of Child-Mother Pairs With Dental Caries. Journal of International Dental and Medical Research. 2016; 9 (Special issue): 339-344.
- Ercan E, Dulgergil CT, Yildirim I et al. Prevention of maternal bacterial transmission on children's dental-caries-development: 4-year results of a pilot study in a rural-child population. Arch Oral Biol. 2007; 52:748–52.
- Rajab LD, Hamdan MA. Early childhood caries and risk factors in Jordan. Community Dent Health. 2002; 19 (4):224-9.
- Van Palenstein Helderman WH, Soe Wan't Hof MA. Risk factors of early childhood caries in a Southeast Asian population. J Dent Res 2006; 85(1):85-8 doi: 10.1177/154405910608500115.
- CarcevM. Preventive dentistry. Skopje, 2006.
- Kokoceva-IvanovskaO. Ethio - pathogenesis and preventive aspects of the circular caries on the primary teth. Master Thesis, Faculty of Dental Medicine, University Cyril and Methodius, Skopje: N. Macedonia 2002: 57-73.
- Bigeard L., Hemmerle J., Sommermater I. J. Clinical and ultrastructural study of the natal tooth: Enamel and dentin assessments, Journal of dentistry for children 1996; 23-3116
- Neves A.A., Castro R.A., Coutinho E.T et al. Micro structural analysis of demineralized primary enamel after in vitro tooth brushing. PesquiOdontol Bras 2002;16(2):137-1
- Bjorn Ogaard D D S., Jaap J. Regression of white spot lesions. A new optical method for quantitative longitudinal evaluation in vivo. Am J of OrthodDentofacOrthop 1994;106;238-42
- Caltabiano C et al. Carious and no carious lesions of the hard dental tissues. Ultrastructural (SEM) and microanalytically (EDS) analyses of teeth from the 3rd century B.C. Minerva Stomatol. 1996; 45(5):197-204.
- Tiffany T.Y.H et al. Characterization of enamel white spot lesions using x-ray micro-tomography. Journal of Dentistry 2007; 10: 1-7
- Kokoceva-Ivanovska O. Early childhood caries: Following of the early developing stages and possibilities for its prevention. Ph.D. Thesis, Faculty of Dental Medicine, University Cyril and Methodius, Skopje: Macedonia 2011; 137-159.
- Oshiro M et all. Effect of CPP -ACP paste on tooth mineralization: an Fe-SEM study, Journal of Oral Science 2007;2:115-120
- Tinanoff N, Reisine S. Update on early childhood caries since the Surgeon General’s Report. Academic Paediatr. 2009; 9(6):396-403.
- Trummler A., Weiss, Results of caries prevention program in children after 33 years, Int Dent J. 2000; 5; (6): 340-1.
- Kokoceva-Ivanovska O. Оral hygiene and fluoride influence on dental healt in early childhood. Archives of public health 2021;13(1):91-103
- Fidya, Rachmawati R, Effendi MC, FeriantiDewi NKA. The effect of NAF 5% and NANONaF to the permanent tooth endurance toward dental caries. Journal of International Dental and Medical Research. 2015; 8 (2): 34-39.
- Policy on Early Chilhood Caries (ECC): Consecuences and preventive strategies, Academy of pediatric dentistry 2022; 90-3
- Abdul Haq J, Splieth CH, Mourad MS, Vielhauer A, Abdulrahim R, Khole MR et al. Digital application for promoting evidence-based children’s oral health to control early childhood caries: Randomized control trial on parental acceptance and efficacy. J Clin Med 2023; 12:2680. https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm12072680.