Knowledge and attitudes for HCV infection among students of the medical faculty, University Ss.Ciril & Metodius, Skopje
- Hepatitis C, knowledge, attitude, medical students
How to Cite
The aim of the study was to determine knowledge and attitudes for HCV infection among medical students. Material and methods: The research was an analytical cross-sectional study. The study was conducted at Medical faculty, and convenience sample of 360 students, interviewed students of the second semester to final year. Specially designed questionnairy was developed by the researcher It was consisted of three parts include questions related to socio-demographic status, to level of knowledge for HCV infection, and question related to attitude of students towards HCV-positive patients. Results: The response rate of the survey was 90%. Тhe present study, indicated that medical student overall knowledge is moderate (very good 7-8). Students had more information about hepatitis prevention than about other aspects of the disease such as mode of transmission and symptoms, there was a significant correlation among student’s attitude and the total level of knowledge toward patients with hepatitis C in a way that higher knowledge is associated with better attitude. Conclusion: Our study has shown that medical students have a sufficient knowledge about HCV to face future challenges; they need further education on the subject.
- Wong JB, McQuillan GM, McHutchison JG, Poynard T. Estimating future hepatitis C morbidity, mortality, and costs in the United States. American Journal of Public Health 2000; 90(10):1562-1569.
- Lodi G, Giuliani M, Majorana A, Sardella A, Bez C, Demarosi F, Carrassi A. Lichen planus and hepatitis C virus: a multicentre study of patients with oral lesions and a systematic review. British Journal of Dermatology 2004; 151(6):1172-1181.
- Harden MD, Skelton H, Smith CK. Lichen planus associated with hepatitis C virus: no viral transcripts are found in the lichen planus, and effective therapy for hepatitis C virus does not clear lichen planus. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology 2003; 49(5):847-852.
- Harman M, Akdeniz S, Dursun M, Akpolat N, Atmaca S. Lichen planus and hepatitis C virus infection: an epidemiologic study. International journal of clinical practice 2004; 58(12):1118-1119.
- Patrick L. Hepatitis C: epidemiology and review of complementary/alternative medicine treatments. Alternative medicine review: a journal of clinical therapeutic 1999; 4(4):220-238.
- Chainani-Wu N, Lozada-Nur F, Terrault N. Hepatitis C virus and lichen planus: a review. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontology 2004; 98(2):171-183.
- Karavelioğlu D, Koytak ES, Bozkaya H, Uzunalimoğlu O, BozdayiI AM, Yurdaydin C. Lichen planus and HCV infection in Turkish patients. Turk J 2004; 15 (3):133-136.
- Campisi G, Fedele S, Lo Russo L, Di Fede O, Arico P, Craxi A, Mignogna MD. HCV infection and oral lichen planus: a weak association when HCV is endemic. Journal of viral hepatitis 2004; 11(5):465-470.
- Kurokawa M, Hidaka T, Sasaki H, Nishikata I, Morishita K, Setoyama M. Analysis of hepatitis C virus (HCV) RNA in the lesions of lichen planus in patients with chronic hepatitis C: detection of anti-genomic-as well as genomic-strand HCV RNAs in lichen planus lesions. Journal of dermatological science 2003; 32(1):65-70.
- Neff GW, O'Brien CB, Nery J, Shire NJ, Nishida S, delagarza J, Montalbano M, Safdar K, Ruiz P, Rideman E, Gascon JA. Factors that identify survival after liver retransplantation for allograft failure caused by recurrent hepatitis C infection. Liver transplantation 2004; 10 (12):1497-1503.
- Poynard T, McHutchison J, Manns M, Trepo C, Lindsay K, Goodman Z, Ling MH, Albrecht J. Impact of pegylated interferon alfa-2b and ribavirin on liver fibrosis in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Gastroenterology 2002; 122 (5):1303-1313.
- Maticic M. Hepatitis C virus infection: the dermatological perspective. ACTA Dermatolovenerologica Alpina Panonica et Adriatica 2003; 12 (1):19-27.
- Fried MW, Shiffman ML, Reddy KR, Smith C, Marinos G, Gonçales Jr FL, Häussinger D, Diago M, Carosi G, Dhumeaux D, Craxi A. Peginterferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C virus infection. New England Journal of Medicine 2002; 347 (13): 975-982.
- Ouzan D, Cavailler P, Hofliger P, Mamino C, Joly H, Tran A. Modalities of care in anti HCV positive patients identified in General Medicine in the Alpes-Maritimes district. Gastroenterol Clin Biol 2003; 27: 376-380.
- d'Souza RF, Glynn MJ, Alstead E, Osonayo C, Foster GR. Knowledge of chronic hepatitis C among East London primary care physicians following the Department of Health's educational campaign. QJM An International Journal of Medicine 2004; 97 (6):331-336.
- Zickmund SL, Brown KE, Bielefeldt K. A systematic review of provider knowledge of hepatitis C: is it enough for a complex disease? Digestive diseases and sciences 2007; 52(10):2550-2556.
- Laraqui O, Laraqui S, Tripodi D, Ouazzani LC, Caubet A, Verger C, Laraqui CH. Evaluation of knowledge, attitudes and practices in the health care setting in Morocco with regard to hepatitis B and C. Sante publique (Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy, France) 2008; 21(3):271-286.
- Najarkolaei FR, Niknami S, Aminshokravi F, Tavafian SS, Jafari NA, Golabchi A. Promoting sexual abstinence intention among female university students: A quasi-experimental study. Journal of research in medical sciences 2013; 18(1):37-43.
- Stein AD, Makarawo TP, Ahmad MF. A survey of doctors and nurses knowledge, attitudes and compliance with infection control guidelines in Birmingham teaching hospitals. J Hosp Infect 2003; 54:68-73.
- Askarian M, Honarvar B, Tabatabaee HR, Assadian O. Knowledge, practice and attitude towards standard isolation precautions in Iranian medical students. J Hosp Infect 2004; 58:292-296.
- Janjua NZ, Razaq M, Chandir S, Rozi S, Mahmood B. Poor knowledge-predictor of nonadherence to universal precautions for blood borne pathogens at first level care facilities in Pakistan. BMC Infect Dis 2007; 7:81.
- Butt G. Stigma in the context of hepatitis C: concept analysis. J Adv Nurs 2008; 62:712-724.
- Kagan I, Ovadia KL, Kaneti T. Perceived knowledge of blood-borne pathogens and avoidance of contact with infected patients. J Nurs Scholarsh 2009; 41:13-19.
- Prodanovska-Stojčevska V, et al. HCV Infection Awareness in Nursing Students. Arh Hig Rada Toksikol 2010; 61:197-201
- Bagny A, Bouglouga O, Djibril MA, Kaaga YL, Dusabe A, Lawson AL, et al. Knowledge and attitudes of students towards viral hepatitis B and C at the University of Lome. Indian J Gastroenterol 2015; 34:78–79.
- Khan N, Ahmed SM, Khalid MM, Siddiqui SH, Merchant AA. Effect of gender and age on the knowledge, attitude and practice regarding hepatitis B and C and vaccination status of hepatitis B among medical students of Karachi, Pakistan. J Pak Med Assoc. 2010; 60:450–455.
- Mansour-Ghanaei R, Joukar F, Souti F, Atrkar-Roushan Z. Knowledge and attitude of medical science students toward hepatitis B and C infections. Int J Clin Exp Med 2013; 6:197–205
- Webster DP, Klenerman P, Dusheiko GM. Hepatitis C. Lancet 2015; 385:1124–1135.
- World Health Organization. Hepatitis C. 2015. Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs164/en/
- Abdulelah H. Almansour, Darwish MA, Abdel Wahab M .M, Hepatitis C infection awareness among fourth year medical students at University of Dammam. J Family Community Med 2017; 24(1): 49–54.
- Alqahtani JM, Abu-Eshy SA, Mahfouz AA, El-Mekki AA, Asaad AM. Seroprevalence of hepatitis B and C virus infections among health students and health care workers in the Najran region, Southwestern Saudi Arabia: The need for national guidelines for health students. BMC Public Health 2014; 14:577
- Hu SW, Lai HR, Liao PH. Comparing dental students' knowledge of and attitudes toward hepatitis B virus-, hepatitis C virus-, and HIV-infected patients in Taiwan. AIDS Patient Care STDS 2004; 18:587–593